I'm back from my summer hiatus. My summer has not been that exciting. A trip to Utah here and there, a trip to southern California to watch Taylor at a horse show. That's about it. In May I found out that one of the instructors from the CSN Vet Tech program that I graduated from about a year ago was leaving. I was asked to consider applying for the position. ME!?!?! So I did. My application was in by the first of June and application reviews were to begin on June 15. Well, I was pretty sure that I was not even being considered because I had not heard anything and August was right around the corner. A couple of weeks ago I was contacted by the director of the Vet Tech program. Funny story...Apparently in the portion of the application where it asks if you have ever been convicted of a felony I answered yes but did not give any explanation. After explaining that I am not a convicted felon, the college decided to offer me an interview. So two Mondays ago I had two interviews. The first was with the "search committee. I had to give a 15-20 minute teaching demonstration on a subject of my choice and then answer a round of questions. That went well and later in the afternoon I met with all of the important people in the Health Sciences department for a second interview. It must have gone well because last Monday the College of Southern Nevada offered me a position as a Vet Tech Instructor. CRAZY!
It is hard to believe that I was the most qualified person they could find to teach future licensed veterinary technician how to do what we do. I am so excited but scared out of my gourd at the same time. I have never taught anything but Sunday school and Relief Society and tutored a few poor unfortunate souls here and there. I guess I better get used to teaching because the start of the semester is fast approaching. This semester I will be teaching four lectures, helping with one lab, and will be in charge of making sure the second years get their clinical hours done.
My official start date is August nineteenth. That only gives me eleven days until the start of the semester to get ready. I will be spending my days off at my current job at the college trying to get ready. I don't know that I am ready for such an adult job but here I come! I even get an office. Wish me luck!
Sunday, August 8, 2010
Back to School...But Different
Posted by Aubree at 10:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
AUBREE!!! That is so great!! I'm so excited for you, congratulations on your "real" job! :-) Can't wait to hear how it is going. Loves.
Post a Comment