I know it sounds like an oxymoron but I have been so busy lately that I can't even procrastinate properly. Tonight I was supposed to working on compiling a power point presentation for my Advanced Animal Nursing class. Instead of working on my presentation I worked on almost every other school related project that I could think of. Lets see...homework that is due in two weeks is started, a project that is due after that is almost done, all of my notes are REALLY organized, and I looked up my schedule for next semester. Oh well, tomorrow is another day to try to be truly productive instead of productively procrastinating.
Saturday, November 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
What you describe, Aubree, sounds like a combination of motives: you were attempting to get other items of concern out of the way before you had clarity and focus of mind enough to work on your powerpoint presentation - AND - you were avoiding the more challenging mental task of working on the presentation and instead did less difficult tasks.
Not all procrastination (or productivity, for that matter) is created equal.
It can sometimes be good to procrastinate - it can lead to less struggle, delay (counter-intuitive, but true), and more optimal functioning.
There's a new book out titled Productive Procrastination, and it describes how to do it, how to tell productive from destructive procrastination, and how to end the destruction kind. (Yes, it's available on Amazon.com.) Learn more about the concept of Procrastivity at www.Procrastivity.com.
I'll suggest you just start your presentation by creating a general outline of perhaps 5 main points you'll cover. Then the next task will be to either put them in some kind of order, or to flesh each point out (whichever feels like a good next step). Focus on the next step rather than finishing the presentation - that makes it easier to approach and less overwhelming.
Wishing you optimal procrastivity!
Post a Comment