Thursday, December 18, 2008

Las Vegas's Winter Wonderland














I was talking to Shannon on the phone the other day and she commented that I hadn't updated my blog in a while. Actually I was waiting on the completion of my house to take some pics and post them but then we had a HUGE (for Las Vegas anyway) storm. I snowed a couple of inches on Monday and then a few more yesterday. I had Taylor take this picture up by her high school. Crazy, eh? I also have a small rant to interject about this storm. Today was a beautiful sunny winter day. However, the Clark County School District declared today a snow day late last night. I lived in Colorado for four years and never once had a snow day. I know that it sounds like I am bitter. Well I am! Las Vegas gets a few measly inches of snow/slush/rain and the city acts like the world is coming to an end. Fort Collins gets a few FEET of snow and I still had to bundle up and trudge to class. Oh, well. I'm done ranting now and I feel a little better. Here are a few more pictures of the Las Vegas winter wonderland.


























One thing that I will say that I did enjoy immensely about the snow storm is how it slowed the entire city down from the hectic chaos that it normally is. I went shopping with my mom out a Bass Pro Shops yesterday and then had to make the long treck back to my side of town. Driving in my car at 35-45 miles per hour on the freeway was nice. I had Christmas tunes on the radio and was not in any kind of a hurry to get where I was going. I often forget how refreshing it is to have some alone time with yourself.
While I was looking through my past blogs I noticed that I failed to mention that I got a dog. Actually I have had a dog since September. "Milly" is a three-ish year old ShizTzu-Poodle mix that came in to WVC (where I work) as a medical case. She was unable to use one of her back legs completely and the other back leg was really sore. She had scabs along her back and when we played connect the dots with the scabs we deduced that she had been picked up by a big dog and shaken. When we took radiographs of spine we found that she had a crushed L7 (the vertebrae right before her hips). I ended up taking her home for a weekend just out of pity. She was so broken and being cooped up in a kennel was not helping her condition. So one weekend turned into a week. One week turned into two. And two weeks turned into a decision to keep her so that she wouldn't be euthanized when she was returned to the shelter. So now I have a very cute dog that is totally not the type of dog I ever envisioned owning (I am more a bid dog person) that was broken but is now completely healed. I thought I was getting a quiet, no jumping, little dog. Instead I am completely in love with that jumps on couches, people, and keeps scary FedEx and UPS men at bay.

1 comments:

Shannon And Tyler said...

FINALLY!!!! geezzzzz. Nice snow picture!