This past weekend I finally managed to take a small hiatus from the blistering heat of Las Vegas to drive to Utah to help Kelsey move into her permanent dorm room. The room she was in originally was a much bigger and better version of what she is now sharing with a roommate. Kelsey will start classes at Westminster College in Salt Lake City, UT next week. She is playing soccer for them and had to move to campus two weeks ago to start training. My mom and dad drove her up and settled her into the room she would have until her permanent room was unoccupied. When my mom and I arrived at the campus we had to move all of the stuff she already had there plus the carload that we brought with us into her new room. I remember my dorm room being kinda small but her room is TINY. It is maybe ten feet wide and fourteen feet deep, and that's being generous. Also, I don't know who puts the furniture into the rooms but the have no concept of creating the illusion of a bigger space than what you have. So first we had to move the furniture into a configuration that made sense. Then we started to unpack and I realized how much stuff Kelsey had brought with her. I don't remember taking that much stuff but at the same time it didn't have to fit in such a tiny box. Luckily we bought lots of space saving organizational miscellaneous and were able to pack everything away. We have her packed into her room within five inches of the ceiling. When we came home I realized how much I am going to miss her. I am however, so proud that she made it to this point in her life. She will have the opportunity to learn and grow without reserve. She can become her own independent person and be the person that she wants to be. I will miss going to Del Taco for Macho Mr. Pibb and our Walmart trips but I wish her all the best and can’t wait to see her flourish.
1 comments:
your post makes me miss college (some things about it anyway)
Post a Comment